About Private Practice Registration
Private practice requires an additional level of registration. Registered Social Workers can apply to the Board of Examiners to engage in the private practice of social work. The Registration process is needed to demonstrate that you have advanced skills in a particular area of social work and are able to apply them independently of an organization.
Private Practice Criteria:
- Applicant must be a member in good standing and not currently the subject of an outstanding disciplinary order.
- Successfully completed a master’s or doctoral degree in social work from an accredited School of Social Work as listed with the Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work. International applicants must have their degrees assessed by the CASW.
- Applicants need to demonstrate they have a minimum of five years or equivalent hours of professional social work experience including:
- two years or equivalent hours of professional social work experience, following completion of a masters or doctoral degree in social work and within the previous ten years, which is relevant to the area or areas of specialization in which the applicant proposes to conduct a private practice.
- four years or equivalent hours of professional social work experience within the past ten years which is relevant to the area or areas of specialization in which the applicant proposes to conduct a private practice and which may have been obtained, in whole or in part, prior to completing a masters or doctoral degree in social work.
- The experience referred to in the above subsection must have been supervised by, or conducted in consultation with, another professional with appropriate expertise in the proposed.
- Specialization: In all cases, social work experience refers to a position in which the primary professional designation is social work or for which a social work qualification was required or preferred
Persons who wish to engage in the private practice of social work shall apply to the Board of Examiners, and shall provide the following information:
Upload directly to your member profile:
- Completion of online application form accompanied by$50.00 application fee.
- Current Resume.
- Information regarding the applicant’s proposed area or areas of specialization.
- Statement in which applicant agrees to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
- Proof of Liability Insurance.
Mail original copy to the College:
- An Assessment of Credentials from the CASW (if applying from outside of Canada).
- Two letters of reference from Registered Social Workers in good standing with the College, or for applicants from outside Nova Scotia, attesting to the competency requirements pertaining to the applicant’s competency in their proposed area(s) of specialization.
- Criminal Record Check (contact local police or visit http://www.backcheck.net/nscsw/).
- Child Abuse Registry Check.
- If you are residing outside Nova Scotia, forms may be made available through the province’s child welfare agency or government department. If the province does not conduct a child abuse check, please note this in your application and assure that the police include a vulnerable persons’ check.
- $50.00 Listing Fee for practitioners who wish to be listed in the online registry of Private Practitioners.
The Board of Examiners may require an interview for clarification where other information is inadequate or inconclusive in assisting the Board to determine the suitability of the member to be approved for private practice.
Registered social workers licensed to engage in private practice may conduct the private practice of social work only in their approved area or areas of specialization.
Persons licensed to engage in private practice may conduct the private practice of social work only in their approved field of specialization.
To apply for private practice log into your member profile and select the “Application for Private Practice” tab