You can now complete your 2020 registration renewal online.
1. Member login
Visit NSCSW.org and click the member portal link in the top-level menu. Look for the words renew here.
Use your member registration number and password to sign into the member portal.
Login tips & troubleshooting
- Can’t remember your member registration number?You can find it by looking up your name in the public registry. Or you can sign in using your primary email address.
- Can’t remember your password? Click “Forgot your password?” and follow the directions, and you’ll receive an email with instructions to regain access. All fields are case-sensitive.
- Use the password reset option early; your profile will be locked if you enter an incorrect password three times in a row.
2. Professional development inventory
Click on Professional Development in the menu, and select Activities.
Scroll down and find Add Activity.
Use this option to enter each of your professional development activities from 2019.
When you’re done, choose Submit to College from the menu.
Once your minimum hours are met, you will see a blue Submit button on this page – click this to continue. Click Finish when you are done. A renewal form link will appear on the front page of your member profile.
Professional development tips & troubleshooting
- For multi-day activities, such as our annual two-day conference or an ongoing volunteer commitment, choose the start date. Please enter any additional dates in the description section.
- You will only be able to submit the professional development inventory once your minimum hours are met.
- You won’t be able to edit activities or add new ones after you submit the inventory. Please make sure all details are complete before you click the button.
3. Complete renewal form
Complete the entire renewal form. Review all your information and confirm it’s correct.
- Do you have a new mailing address, primary email, or employer?
- Are you interested in a position on Council, or a College committee?
- Are you subscribed to mailouts (like the biweekly email newsletter)?
Please make all your updates and changes before you submit the form.
Renewal form tips & troubleshooting
- Are you a private practitioner? To have your listing included in the registry you need to enter your practice information and give consent for us to publish it in the registry. These are on two different pages of the renewal form.
4. Select payment & submit renewal form
To pay online, click the Pay Now box next to your registration fee(s), enter your credit card information, and click Process Payment. To pay later (e.g. by cheque, or in person at our office in Halifax) scroll down and click Invoice Me.
If your employer is reimbursing you for registration fees, you can print copies of your receipt directly from your member profile at any time after your renewal is complete. However, if your employer plans to submit payment directly to the College on your behalf, select the invoice option and give them a copy.
Payment is due no later than December 31 (see Late Renewal section below).
Payment tips & troubleshooting
- We will only accept payments once the online renewal form is complete.
- Cheque payments are only accepted until December 15, 2019, to allow time to process and deposit payments before the end of the year.
- We do not recommend post-dating cheques. If a cheque payment fails on December 31, that member may not have time to complete an alternate method of payment before the deadline and could have their registration suspended.
- If your employer submits payment to the College on your behalf, please ask them about their internal deadlines. You will need to complete the renewal form and give them your invoice before they can submit your payment. They may need time to collect and process these for multiple staff members.
5. Completing renewal
Your registration is renewed for 2020 once the College receives both your complete online renewal form and your payment of registration fees. You need to renew your registration to continue practicing social work in the new year.
Once your registration is renewed, you can print your receipt and proof of 2020 registration (i.e. certificate or wallet card) directly from your online member profile.
Leaving the College
If you have retired or left the province and will not be renewing this year, please contact the College’s executive assistant Nancy Viner at Nancy.Viner@NSCSW.org.
If you have changed positions and believe you are no longer practicing within the Scope of Practice as defined by the Social Workers Act, you may apply for resignation by submitting a request and current job description to the College’s Executive Director/Registrar for review in accordance with Social Worker Regulation 26 (a). Please send requests for resignation to our Acting Executive Director/Registrar Lynn Brogan at Lynn.Brogan@NSCSW.org.
Why is registration renewed annually?
The annual renewal process is a core NSCSW regulatory function. It confirms to the public that our members have the ethical foundation, skills and good character to practice social work in Nova Scotia.
Renewal is also an opportunity to reflect on your professional growth and development, and to bring to life the core social work value of integrity in professional practice. You’re recommitting to the values and standards of our profession and reflecting on your goals and commitment to lifelong learning.
Professional social work registration is a privilege our members can take pride in.
If a member’s registration is not renewed by December 31, it will be suspended on January 1. The member will need to pay an additional fee to reinstate their registration.
The Social Workers Act requires that individuals who practice social work in this province must be registered with our College. If a member’s registration is suspended, this may affect their employment.
It is each individual member’s responsibility to ensure their own registration is renewed on time. We encourage all members to consider completing their renewal as soon as possible.