Individuals with social work credentials from a school outside of Canada may be eligible for registration as a Registered Social Worker or Social Worker Candidate in Nova Scotia. Applicants will need to have their social work academic credentials evaluated by The Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) as equivalent to a minimum of a Bachelor of Social Work obtained from a social work program accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education. If so, you will likely meet the academic requirements for Registration.
Ensure that the CASW forwards a signed and dated letter confirming the outcome of the social work credential evaluation directly to the College. Applicants are responsible for any fees that apply to have their credentials assessed. If the CASW evaluation concludes that your academic credentials are not equivalent to at least a Canadian bachelor of social work degree, please contact the College to discuss your individual circumstances.
An application for registration with the College with a degree in a social work from an CASW assessed school shall include the following information:
Upload to your member profile:
- Completion of online application form accompanied by a non refundable $100.00 application fee
- Consent for release of information to employer concerning status of your application (click here)
- Current Resume
- Job description (if employed)
Mail original copy to the College:
- An Assessment of Credentials from the CASW
- Two completed reference forms click here. These forms should be given by you to your referees for completion, to be forwarded by them directly to the Board office.
- Criminal Record Check (contact local police or visit http://www.backcheck.net/nscsw/)
- Child Abuse Registry Check
If you are residing outside Nova Scotia, forms may be made available through the province’s child welfare agency or government department. If the province does not conduct a child abuse check, please note this in your application and assure that the police include a vulnerable persons’ check.
Mailing address: 1888 Brunswick St., Suite 700, Halifax, NS B3J 3J8