A Registered Social Worker from another province may find it easier to become registered as a social worker in Nova Scotia if you are already registered as a social worker with one or more Canadian social work regulatory authorities. Applicants will need to provide a letter of good standing from your regulatory authority and complete the following application process.

In the case of applicants who are currently registered as social workers by the Alberta or Saskatchewan social work regulatory authorities, who do not hold a degree from a CASWE accredited program, are not eligible for registration under the legitimate objective held by the Nova Scotia Government under AIT.

Applicants from a CASWE accredited program will have their credentials assessed and reviewed by the Board of Examiners. Based on the information provided in your application, the Board will determine your registration status as a Registered Social Worker or Social Worker Candidate.

All Applications must still include the following documentation:

Upload directly to your member profile:

  1. Completion of online application form accompanied by a non-refundable $100.00 application fee
  2. Consent for release of information to employer concerning status of your application (click here)
  3. Current Resume
  4. Job description (if employed)

Mail original copy to the College:

  1. A letter of good standing from your provincial regulatory authority.
  2. University transcript (BSW/MSW) sent from University directly to the NSCSW
  3. A letter from the University confirming completion of BSW/MSW degree program (if you are awaiting convocation)
  4. Two completed reference forms click here. These forms should be given by you to your referees for completion, to be forwarded by them directly to the Board office.
  5. Criminal Record Check (contact local police or visit http://www.backcheck.net/nscsw/)
  6. Child Abuse Registry Check
    If you are residing outside Nova Scotia, forms may be made available through the province’s child welfare agency or government department. If the province does not conduct a child abuse check, please note this in your application and assure that the police include a vulnerable persons’ check.

Mailing address: 1888 Brunswick St., Suite 700, Halifax, NS B3J 3J8