A Registered Social Worker from another province may find it easier to become registered as a social worker in Nova Scotia if you are already registered as a social worker with one or more Canadian social work regulatory authorities. Applicants will need to provide a letter of good standing from your regulatory authority and complete the following application process.
In the case of applicants who are currently registered as social workers by the Alberta or Saskatchewan social work regulatory authorities, who do not hold a degree from a CASWE accredited program, are not eligible for registration under the legitimate objective held by the Nova Scotia Government under AIT.
Applicants from a CASWE accredited program will have their credentials assessed and reviewed by the Board of Examiners. Based on the information provided in your application, the Board will determine your registration status as a Registered Social Worker or Social Worker Candidate.
All Applications must still include the following documentation:
To be completed in the Application Portal:
- Completion of online application form accompanied by a non-refundable $100.00 application fee.
- Consent to release of information to the employer concerning the status of your application.
- The names and email addresses of two references. The forms will be automatically emailed to your references for completion through the application portal.
- Current Resume
- Job description (if employed)
Mail an original copy to the College:
- A letter of good standing from the provincial regulatory body you are moving from.
- University transcript (BSW/MSW) sent from the University directly to the NSCSW
A letter sent from the University Registrar’s office directly to the NSCSW confirming completion of BSW/MSW degree program (if you are awaiting convocation)
- Criminal Record Check (contact local police or visit http://www.backcheck.net/nscsw/)
- Child Abuse Registry Check
If you are residing outside Nova Scotia, forms may be made available through the province’s child welfare agency or government department. If the province does not conduct a child abuse check, please note this in your application and assure that the police include a vulnerable persons’ check.
Mailing address: 1888 Brunswick St., Suite 700, Halifax, NS B3J 3J8