Associate membership in the College shall be granted to a member in good standing who has no outstanding complaints against them and who is not currently practicing. Associate members have all the same rights of membership except they cannot use the title of Registered Social Worker, or practice social work within the scope of practice.
If an active Registered Social Worker or Social Worker Candidate is off on sick leave, parental leave or unemployed they should switch their active status to associate status. They can do so by applying to the Executive Director/Registrar in writing.hould
Associate members who wish to recommence the practice of social work shall apply to the Executive Director/Registrar for reinstatement.
- Fees must be paid in full before associate members may resume active status.
- Except for those members who have been on parental leave for 12-18 months, their fee to switch to an active member is waived and they can continue to practice as an active member.
- If Associate members engage in the practice of social work, the Associate member is deemed to have resumed active practice and shall pay to the College any outstanding fees or penalties, including the annual registration fee or balance thereof, and a further fee, as referred to in Schedule “A of the by- laws
Associate membership is not an authorization to practice social work and does not confer the rights of registration.
Associate members are required to keep their professional development hours current. For information on the Associate membership requirements for professional development click here.
Associate members may engage in the practice of social work during a public emergency.
Associate membership entitles an Associate member to:
- Participate in non-regulatory committees, task forces, or working groups.
- Attend College conferences and educational events at member rates.
- Receive College newsletter, surveys, and questionnaires.