Bring a professional development opportunity to your community.
Registered Social Workers (RSW) are required to maintain 40 hours of professional development (PD) each year. The College encourages RSW’s to seek and create PD opportunities in their community that contribute to the field of social work and the quality of life for Nova Scotians. Empowerment, accessibility, sustainability and self-reliance are important concepts within an RSW’s practice that are equally useful when planning your PD.
NSCSW funding is available to help support your community PD events. The College can also help support event promotion by creating event posters, an event registration page and providing you with emails of RSW’s in your region.
Social Work Professional Development How-To Guide
- Identify a community need for PD opportunities.
- Determine if the opportunity exists in your community or other communities to help you develop future events and opportunities.
- Secure appropriate facilitators for your event. If you do not plan to host, find someone who is familiar with event hosting or skilled in the event’s theme.
- Determine event details:
- associated costs (webinar fees, guest speakers/presenters, food and refreshments, honorariums, etc.) availability of facilitator or guest speakers,
- any additional requirements or equipment (projector, laptop, speakers, PA system, meeting space, etc.).
- Secure an appropriate venue and information on cost, availability, equipment available, accessibility, environmental factors, etc.
- Assess any additional requirements & the associated costs including volunteers, catering etc.
- For College funding submit the application form and include an event agenda.
- Confirm all the essentials (location, facilitators, caterers, volunteers, etc.).
- Contact the College to promote your event on the NSCSW event calendar.
- Promote the event though social media, email invites and by spreading the word within your social work community.
- Note successes and challenges during the event.
- What were the event strengths or weaknesses?
- Ask attendees for their feedback!
- Evaluate the overall success of your event and let your College know what worked and what didn’t.
Questions? Contact Annemieke Vink at Annemieke.Vink@nscsw.org or (902)429-7799 x 223.
Professional Development Event Funding Request
Put your PD event into action. Complete and submit this form to request College funding.