The College’s Council is looking for a member to appoint to the Board of Examiners. The Board of Examiners (BOE) oversees the application of regulatory policy, approves social work applicants, and makes all decision regarding the complaints and discipline matters brought before the College. This work is vital to the College’s mandate to protect the public.
We’re looking for members who:
- are an active Registered Social Worker;
- are in good standing with the College;
- have a firm grasp of the social work values, Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice; and
- are seeking a social work leadership role.
There is a particular need for members from equity-seeking groups.
- Regulatory Knowledge: Understanding of regulatory governance models, laws, and standards applicable to the profession.
- Judgment & Decision Making: Ability to analyze complex issues, weigh evidence, make fair and impartial decisions.
- Ethics & Integrity: Commitment to uphold high ethical standards and act with integrity.
- Communication Skills: Ability to articulate views clearly, listen actively, and engage in constructive dialogue.
- Leadership & Teamwork: Experience in leadership roles and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Commitments & benefits
The BOE meets eleven times a year. These meetings are typically the third Thursday of each month, for two hours in the evening. Board members are reimbursed for travel expenses, and meeting hours are eligible to be included in their annual inventory of professional development activities as volunteer service. There will be a month off every summer (in 2023 there is no August meeting).
BOE members have the option to serve on the complaints or discipline committees when seats become available. The complaints committee generally convenes on the third Saturday of the month, usually for five hours. The discipline subcommittee convenes as needed; hearings can last several days if contested. Members of these committees receive a stipend to acknowledge the dedication and significant time commitment required for this important contribution.
Interested? Please send your letter of intent and current CV to the College’s Registrar/Executive Director Alec Stratford Alec.Stratford@NSCSW.org by August 31, 2023.