The Canadian Council of Social Work Regulators (CCSWR) provides a national structure for provincial and territorial social work regulatory authorities to act together as the voice, both nationally and internationally, on social work regulatory matters in Canada.
Learn more here: ccswr-ccorts.ca/about-us
The CCSWR aims to create a resource guide that describes a framework, including principles and reflective questions, that can be used by social work regulators to address and implement anti-racist regulatory practice. The scope of this project is to
- identify and dismantle systemic and structural racism in all aspects of social work regulation
- promote the elimination of bias and other barriers in regulatory policies and processes; and
- support anti-racist social work practice on the part of their members.
Reference Group Role
The Reference Group will advise the CCSWR Anti-Racist Regulatory Practice Working Group on the development and implementation of the Anti-Racist Regulatory Practice Framework. The Reference Group will provide a critical lens and voice to support the working group too explore actions and policies that can be taken with respect to best practices in anti-racist regulatory practice.
The Reference Group will:
- Advise the Working Group on an ongoing basis on the development and implementation of an anti-racist regulatory practice framework.
- Support the Working Group to develop a framework that will assist regulators identify and dismantle systemic and structural racism in all aspects of social work regulation.
- Support the Working Group to develop a framework to promote the elimination of bias and other barriers in regulatory policies and processes; and
- Identifying opportunities to work with community partners and organizations on actions that can inform the creation anti-racist regulatory practice framework.
In recognition of for their contributions members of the reference group will receive a one-time $500 honoria.
Committee members will be appointed for a two (2) year term or until the anti-racist regulatory framework is approved by the CCSWR Board of Directors.
Submitting a Nomination
Members of the College are invited to nominate an individual for the Reference Group by emailing your nomination to Alec Stratford, Chair of the CCSWR Anti-Racist Regulatory Practice Working Group at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than December 1, 2021.
Five members will be selected using the following criteria:
- have lived professional / academic / cultural expertise in anti-racism work.
- have a strong understanding of systemic and structural racism.
- have an understanding of and/or be open to supporting social work regulation.
- have personal and/or professional community connections that can inform the working groups goals and outcome; and
- be experienced in supporting and/or leading anti-racism initiatives.